Simple DIY Lip Balm Recipe
Why make a homemade Lip Balm?
Making your own lip balm is both rewarding and cheap. Yep, really really cheap, with this recipe you’ll be making lip balms like there’s no tomorrow for less than 10¢ per tube.
Perhaps the best reason though is not having any chemical ‘nasties’ put directly onto your lips. There’s no artificial colors or preservatives or binding agents – it’s just not necessary. What’s a natural well known brand with excess chemicals in it? Take a look at this one. A well known brand and it contains: Oxybenzone, Ozokerite, Petrolatum, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Paraffin, Stearyl Alcohol and BHT.
After you’ve made this batch, you won’t need to buy lip balm anywhere else for a while!
Here’s what we use:
- Pack of empty Chapstick Tubes
- 2 parts Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 parts Beeswax Pellets or Beeswax Blocks
- A few drops of (high quality) vitamin E liquid
Optional (but recommended!)
- Shea Butter (Available for nothing here)
- Rosemary Oil (for better skin care)
- Peppermint Oil (for that tingly feeling!)
Why use Vitamin E oil?
Vitamin is in primarily known for its Scar healing. Vitamin E is known to really good at reducing scar tissue, acne and skin blemishes. It’s why it’s in popular scar and acne ‘over the counter’ treatments. Additionally, the oil helps hold this solution together. It’s good for lips because it helps protect against lip wrinkles, sun damage and helps to lock in moisture.
Lip Balm Method:
Making this recipe is super easy. We warned you!
- Measure your coconut oil and beeswax into a heatproof glass measuring container (like a pyrex bowl or similar). Microwave the mixture for a minute or two until melted, usually a minute does the trick with modern microwave. If you have no micro wave available, simply put the bowl into warm water and it will naturally melt in about 5 mins.
- Take a stainless steel spoon and whip everything together so that the beeswax combines with the coconut oil, make sure the solution is an even color.
- Add the vitamin e oil and then add whatever ingredients you wanted extra, such as essential oils or shea butter for better moisturizing properties. If you want to make homemade moisturizer, read our article here.
- Continue to stir the mixture. This is important, you don’t want it to set.
- Carefully pour the finished product into new lip balm tubes or tins, we recommend these lip balm tubes from amazon. They are dirt cheap and you can reuse them 1000s of times. Not that you’ll ever need lip balm again after the amount you can make with this recipe!
Wait for them to harder and there you have it! Homemade lip balm for everyone!
You’ll end up with some really amazing lip balm, for a fraction of the cost of the store bought equivalent.
I hope you enjoyed reading how to make this super simple homemade lip balm!
Please share it!